Thursday, October 4, 2007

preparing me for motherhood

Normally, Porter, aka Doodles, will sleep in my comfy chair. A big chair-and-a-half with an equally large ottoman. I wake up in the morning, and invariably, he's asleep in my chair. Which is fine. Because he's asleep & not bothering me. And he's never been one to sleep in our bed. He'll take a little time-out in mom & Mike's bed, but he rarely sleeps in ours. Although, there was that one time we couldn't find him and he was in our bed, surrounded by a pile of clean laundry, with a pair of my underwear wrapped around his neck. Not quite sure how he managed that, but whatever.

Then last night I heard him click-clicking down the hallway (I am a very light sleeper when it comes to pets causing a raucous in the middle of the night) & I fully expected him to nudge his nose into my face to be let out. Instead, he plopped down on the floor at the foot of the bed. So I go back to sleep. Until he decides to hop into bed. And do circles until he finds just the right spot. But, wait! It's not the right spot! So he must get up, do some more circles, and then plop down again. And these aren't dainty little plops, mind you. And then get up, do some more circles, and then lay down halfway across my body with his back-end way too close to my head.

And then our bed clearly wasn't good enough for him, feather bed & all, because he got up & continued to pace back & forth from our room to the living room FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT. Click-click, click-click, click-click. Needless to say, I did not get a good nights sleep. I wish I knew why our perfectly good furniture is all of a sudden not good enough for our DOG to sleep in.


Oh, Doodles, it's a good thing you're so damn cute.....




PS ~ Adam & I both told our co-workers about Porter's strange activity, and consensus seems to be that we had a bear in our yard.

6 comments:

The Weathered Pane said...

He is a funny dog! And certainly does love sleeping on our bed..... Glad you're sounding happier today.

Unknown said...

if you are as light of a sleeper as i am get ready to never sleep again. lol. or at least for about 2-3 years.
and yikes!!! hello a bear!?

Anonymous said...

Crikey, a bear? wow.
Your dog is a real cutie.

Anonymous said...

Funny dog!

Yikes, a bear????? Sheesh....

Melissa

Alex M said...

He is so adorable. I think he is sending secret messages to my cat, who has suddenly taken to the same sort of behavior.

Anonymous said...

How are you? I have not seen a new post so I am worried. Do let us know how you are! Come on over to my blog, we are having a party!
xo,
Melissa