Thursday, January 3, 2008

guess which half of the book of baby names I can skip?

If intuition had anything to do with the sex of the baby, we’d be having a boy. I think because I had convinced myself of that fact, it came as quite a shock to hear the ultrasound technician say the opposite.

I always thought that those women who said I don’t care what the sex is as long as the baby is healthy were full of it. How could they not have an opinion on the sex of their child? Now I know. My feelings toward finding out we were having a girl couldn’t compare to finding out she was developing properly & that she looked healthy. As I lay there, the anticipation I thought I would feel about knowing whether to shop for pink or blue never materialized. Instead, I found myself more worried that something would be wrong. Every time the technician would pause and hmmmmm to herself, I was convinced she was seeing some sort of abnormality. Thankfully, though, that was not the case.

Other observations about my ultrasound: the baby was moving around a lot, including taking breaths and waving her little arms. I was apparently also experiencing Braxton Hicks, but I never would have known had the technician not told me.

It’s going to take some getting used to referring to the baby as “her” or a “she” instead of “it”. It was somehow easier when she was still an “it”. It was less real before, and now she’s this little person that I’ve seen with my own eyes.

22 weeks and counting:

2 comments:

The Weathered Pane said...

Lillian? Lilah? Isabelle? Amy?
Abigail? Probably with your last name, a simple name might work better, maybe? I'm glad your appt brought some relief.

Tanya said...

My belly looks just like that too!
(it's a shame I'm not pregnant tho)
: )